Berry Bread and Butter Pudding
- 500 g stale bread/croissants/brioche or combination. sliced or torn into 1-2 inch pieces.
- 500 g fruit – strawberries, blueberries, sultanas, banana, orange add chocolate for a decadent touch
- 120 g melted butter
- 3 large free range eggs
- 1 pint milk
- 400 ml sour cream substitute or combine with creme fraiche and fresh cream.
- 170 g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zest only optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Set the oven to 170C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Butter a small, 28 x 25cm, oven proof dish.
- Cover the base with a layer of bread/pastry pieces.
- With a large spoon, generously drizzle butter over the bread.
- Sprinkle over your combination of fresh and dry fruits, chocolate pieces and orange zest.
- Repeat this twice using up all the melted butter and finishing with a layer of bread with no fruit or chocolate on top as it will burn.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, sour cream, vanilla, sugar and salt, then pour over the bread and leave it to soak for 5-10 minutes. Press any un-soaked bits of bread down under the custard, but don’t let it overflow.
- Sprinkle a little demerara sugar over the bread mix.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until set.